The Rhode Island FIRST* Tech Challenge robotics season is underway and New England Institute of Technology is looking for volunteers! New England Tech is looking for technical professionals, educators, parents and all others interested in encouraging RI students to explore careers in engineering technology. Each season approximately 50 R.I. middle and high school robotic teams design, build and compete in the RI FIRST Tech Challenge.
Volunteers are assigned key roles to keep the qualifiers and tournament on track. No need to be an expert in robotics or engineering, just a willingness to support our R.I. students in their interest in technology.
Volunteer at a Qualifier!
Teams in R.I. advance to the state tournament by participating in a qualifying tournament. Qualifying tournaments involve approximately 12-16 teams. The dates for the qualifiers are 1/5/19, 1/12/19 and 1/26/19. Qualifiers run from 7:30 am until 4 pm. The work is fun, and lunch is provided! Qualifiers are held at New England Tech in East Greenwich, RI.
Volunteer at the State Tournament!
32 R.I. FTC teams will advance to the RI State Tournament. The R.I. State Tournament will be held on 2/9/19 at the New England Tech Automotive Center in Warwick, RI. Volunteers for the state tournament must have volunteered at one qualifying tournaments.
Hurry! Register with FIRST!
If you are interested in joining in the FIRST fun, you must register as a volunteer through the FIRST system. Directions to register are noted below. Your volunteer information will be sent directly to the RI FIRST Affiliate Partner, Erin Flynn. If you have any questions, reach out to Erin directly – 800-736-7744 ext. 3462 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on FIRST and the FTC Challenge go to www.firstinspires.org
Steps to register with the FIRST Volunteer Registration
- Log in to https://www.firstinspires.org/node/3556
To apply to be a volunteer, sign up or log in at the top right corner of this page. After signing in, click “Volunteer Registration” to get started.
- Apply to an event
- From Left Hand Navigation, click “Volunteer Role Applications”
- Click the button that says “Apply for an Event”
- Select “FTC”
- Select State/Province – “Rhode Island”
- Press “Find Event”
- You will find the qualifier dates of 1/5/19, 1/12/19, 1/26/19 as well as the 2/9/19 state tournament date listed. Select as many as you are able.
- Select the event and fill out the application.
- Select roles in preference order you would like to apply to (1 being most preferred)
- Select days you can volunteer.
- Remember to add additional comments if you have specific restrictions on your time
- Click “Submit”
- You will be returned to the “Volunteer Role Applications” page.
- Repeat steps 3-5 to apply to multiple events.